The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 is committed to winning non-foldable phones. Worried about device durability? The display is up to 80% solid, and the whole phone is waterproof. Want to do more with a 7.6-inch screen? There’s support for the S Pen, as well as a camera under the display to do an immersive display.
Do you think cell phones are more expensive? Well, we can’t help you much there. This series is still priced at $ 1,799, but at least $ 200 cheaper than it was before its launch. If you are looking for less expensive wraps, the new $ 999 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 is the best bet. (For a detailed comparison, see Galaxy Z Fold 3 and Galaxy Z Flip 3 face to face.)
Other notable improvements to the Galaxy Z Fold 3 include a bright display and advanced features for multiple tasks, complete with a taskbar-like Windows. However, the battery life may have improved, the design is still very strong, and Samsung should have installed the S Pen.
While this foldable remains a niche device, our review of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 shows that Samsung has refined the best mobile phone you can buy, making it an excellent choice for power users looking for a single phone and tablet gadget.
SAMSUNG GALAXY Z FOLD 3: SPECS
- Price: $ 1,799 (256GB), $ 1,899 (512GB)
- CPU: Snapdragon 888
- RAM: 12GB
- Storage: 256GB, 512GB
- External display: 6.2 inches (2268 x 832) 120Hz Adaptive
- 7.6 inches (2208 x 1768) 120Hz Adaptive internal display
- Rear cameras: width 12MP (f / 1.8); 12MP ultrawide (f.2.2, 123-degree FOV); 12MP telephoto (f / 2.4, 2x optical zoom, 10x digital zoom)
- Front camera: 10MP (f / 2.2)
- Under-display camera: 4MP (f / 1.8)
- Battery: 4,400 mAh
- Charging: 25W (charger not included)
- Size: 6.2 x 2.6 x 0.56 to 0.62 inches (closed); 6.2 x 5 x 0.25 inches (open)
- Weight: 9.55 ounces
Galaxy Z Fold 3 review: Quick pros and cons
- The unobtrusive camera on the Galaxy Z Fold 3 impresses with its ability to disappear when viewing content. However, the 4MP resolution is not good for selfies.
- The large 7.6-inch display is easy to view outside, as the panel reaches 30% clear bar. I also enjoy the standard 120Hz refresh rate, which makes for a smooth scrolling on the outside screen.
- I really like the Taskbar feature, which lets you pin your favorite apps on the display side and follow you to any app. Similar to Windows. However, you must dig in the Labs settings to unlock this.
- There is no denying that the Galaxy Z Fold 3 is a thick phone when closed. You will definitely see this phone tablet combo in your pocket.
- It’s good to see that some apps are designed for Galaxy Fold 3, including Spotify, Gmail, Chrome and TikTok.
- Support for the S Pen is a good addition but we wish Samsung would not charge more for this accessory.
- The overall camera quality is excellent from the Galaxy Z Fold 3, which also captures sharp and colorful images for the most part. But the iPhone 12 Pro is better.
- The battery life of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 could be better. The packing lasts less than 8 hours on our web surfing battery test, while the best calls last 10 hours or more.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 review: Release date and price
Green Z Fold 3 is available for pre-order now, August 27 release date free with Samsung Care + when you sign up for a three-year plan.
The Green Z Fold 3 has an initial $ 1,799 model price of 256GB, while the 512GB version costs $ 1,899.
Check out our pre-order Galaxy Z Fold 3 guide for all the great deals, and you can find our guide on the best Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 cases.
Galaxy Z Fold 3 review: Design and durability
The Galaxy Z Fold 3 adds a lot to the durability, even on the strong side.
Right from the bat, you’ll be delighted to know that the new Galaxy Z Fold is waterproof IPX8, which means it can withstand up to 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes. I doubt most people will pull this foldable, but it’s good to know that it can handle everything from splashes to rain.
Unfortunately, we are not able to test the water resistance in our review sample, but we have purchased the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and will test that unit and review this review. Just be aware that the Z Fold 3 is not sensitive to dust, so I would not feel comfortable bringing this threat to the sea.
To further strengthen the Galaxy Z Fold 3, its sturdy Armor Aluminum body and the Gorilla Glass Victus display are designed to withstand scratches and scratches. Finally, Samsung claims that Z Z Fold 3 uses a new PET protective film that when combined with large screen “ready-made” layers leads to an 80% solid screen.
The Galaxy Z Fold 3 measures 6.2 x 2.6 x 0.56 to 0.62 inches when closed and 6.2 x 5 x 0.25 when turned on. It also weighs 9.5 ounces. Compare that to 6.2 x 2.6 x 0.66 inches (closed), 6.2 x 5 x 0.27 inches (open) and 9.9 ounces of Galaxy Z Fold 2. However, this method is more complex and heavy when closed to most phones, so then feel it in your pocket.
The Galaxy Z Fold 3 comes in three major colors: Phantom Black, Phantom Green and Phantom Silver. I’m a silver lover because it comes out so well.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 displays
The Galaxy Z Fold 3 also features two displays: a 6.2-inch OLED cover display and a large 7.6-inch screen that is displayed when you turn on this device.
Both of these panels offer an optimal update rate of 120Hz, and I have got a smooth scrolling and perfect performance during my hands-on and phone time.
The interior screen resolution is similar to the original at 2208 x 1768 pixels, but the good news is that the new display is rated at 29% brighter than before, thanks to new Eco technology.
The large display of the Galaxy Z Fold 3 looks very nice, and the main reason for that is the new camera under the display. Instead of staring at a note hole or a fist, the UDC in the Galaxy Z Fold 3 is almost invisible, especially when you include a full screen on content such as photos and videos. When the display is dark, say it on the home screen, you can make a small hole, but that doesn’t show.
Unfortunately, the Galaxy Z Fold 3 display set a 422 light rating for our lab testing. Okay but about half of that unveiled by the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (821 nits), and the iPhone 12 Pro Max also hit 654 high-end calls.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 multitasking and app support
Green Z Fold 3 It is a multi-functional powerhouse. Thanks to the Multi-Active Window feature, you can run two apps side by side (drag and drop content between them) or run three apps at the same time. And now the advanced App Pair feature lets you create two app shortcuts over time the way you opened them.
Don’t feel like swiping regularly from the right side to open Edge Panel to see these and other apps? Samsung has added a new Taskbar feature that allows you to switch between apps on the plane; it just sits there on the right side of the display, similar to the Windows taskbar. To make Taskbar work, I had to dig into the settings menu and use Samsung Labs, which most people would never know what to do.
Once activated, Taskbar is a great addition. I’d love to get a quick look at how many notifications I can have on Black, for example, and quickly switch to that app. Or I can quickly open my App Pair: Gallery and Messages.
Samsung Labs can also force unprepared applications to display folders to work in Multi-Active Windows mode. For example, I can park Netflix on the left side of the screen and continue watching Outer Banks while looking at the messages on the right side of the screen.
Another good feature is drag and drop. For example, if you are in a Samsung browser and looking for items on Amazon, you can simply drag one to the right to open a new window. That way you can view the details of one product while comparing other products on the left. Other apps that support this feature include Samsung Message, MS Office, One Note and more.
When you roll up the Galaxy Z Fold 3 as a laptop, most apps support Flex mode, placing the content at the top and the controls at the bottom of the display. This works on YouTube and the Camera app, and I also used it for a hands-free Google Meet video call. You can force Flex mode to appear in apps, but I think it’s best for most developers to accept the feature.
Samsung is working closely with third-party developers to roll out other traditional apps with the Galaxy Z Fold 3. These include Snapchat, TikTok, Netflix, Spotify and YouTube. For example, if you are using Spotify, you will see the currently playing window at the bottom left with the entire access menu on the right, making it easy to perform multiple tasks.
But my favorite program for Galaxy Z Fold 3 is Chrome. I would love to be able to see all my tabs up and move them, just as I would on a desktop.
- Cryptocurrency Price Today: Bitcoin Bounces Back to Touch $41,000 Mark, Ether in Green
- Bitcoin and Ethereum Investment Outflows Accelerate, No ‘Significant Stress Among Investors
- Zuckerberg Announces Instagram Will Incorporate NFTs
- Stablecoin threat creates CBDC’s need: RBI
- How To Download Minecraft For Free On Mobile Or PC 2022